Welcome to my studio and gallery website! I work primarily in oil on canvas, on commissioned work as well as self-initiated projects. I paint not only in my studio in Newport Beach but also in the California desert.
My studio is only open by appointment, so I am happy to share a sample of my work through this site. You are welcome to contact me or sign up for occasional newsletter updates (see right column on homepage) about my studio and Newport Beach art happenings. Enjoy your visit!
About Julie Bird
When I was five, my beloved grandfather beheld the flock of birds I had just painted on the north wall of the family home, and he declared…
…You will be an artist, just like my friend Carl Moon! This dear man had just validated my heretofore–secret life as a toddler tagger who had been embellishing the sidewalks of our tony Pasadena neighborhood and upsetting the status quo for quite some time. I’ve been a suspect ever since. I don’t know how to not paint in this world…no matter where or what the canvas.
An autodidact in the truest sense of the word, my brush with academia has been fleeting. Can’t seem to find the time. I did take drawing classes at Pasadena City College, and served as the editorial cartoonist for the Coast Report at Orange Coast College, while taking Journalism and Welding.
Art for Wages
Although I do as little of it as possible, artists do have to eat now and then. To that end, I had a paid gig as an at-will designer and artist for Evergreen Press in Walnut Creek for fourteen years, beginning when I was still a kid.
Exhibits and Shows
- JBird Studio, Cannery District, Balboa: On-going shows and salons. 1988-Present.
- Peas, Oh Please, children’s book, written and illustrated, published by Dockside Sailing Press, 2015
- Turley-Emmett Gallery, Newport Beach: Month-long, one-woman show. 2008.
- Fred Segal on Melrose, Los Angeles: Charity Auction and Art Show, featuring my originally-designed, hand-painted footwear commissioned by TOM’s Shoes
for the event, and six oil paintings. 2007.
- Alta Gallery, Newport Beach: Month-long exhibit. 1998.
- Orange County Superior Court, Santa Ana: Three paintings included in a one-month exhibit. 1998.
- George Williamson Design Forum Gallery, Lido Village: Representation 1997-1998.
- Newport Beach Public Library: “On the Wall” Exhibit. 1995.
- Amarillo, Texas
- Munich, Germany
- Dubai, UAE
- Los Angeles, CA
- Newport Beach CA
- Austin, TX
- New York, NY